Treat your Mum
Your Mum will feel extra special if you treat her to high tea this Mother's Day. Throw down a white linen tablecloth, dig out her "special occasion" teacups and indulge her with fresh scones topped with her favourite jam and the best cream you can buy.
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 80g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- your Mum's favourite jam and double thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 7.5cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of flour mixture. Add milk. Stir with a flat-bladed knife until mixture just comes together (don't over-mix). Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface. Knead gently to bring dough together.
- Gently press dough into a 2cm-thick round. Dip a 4.5cm round cutter into flour. Cut out scones. Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat to make a total of 20 scones. Place scones, touching, in prepared pan. Sprinkle with a little extra flour. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Serve with jam and cream. Makes 20.