Summer is here...
After the hustle and bustle of Christmas shut down the kitchen for the month of January, and fire up the barbecue for these simple yet tasty recipes. Lamb on the barbecue for your Australia Day bash … what could be more Australian!
Lamb and lemon skewers
- 500g lamb leg steak, diced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 250 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- olive oil cooking spray
- Pre-soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes then thread lamb, tomatoes and capsicum alternately onto skewers.
- Combine half the garlic, 1/4 cup of the lemon juice and mint in a shallow dish. Add skewers and turn to coat in garlic mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining garlic and yoghurt in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat barbecue on medium-high heat. Spray skewers with oil. Cook skewers for 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking..
- Serve with yoghurt dipping sauce and panzanella salad. Makes 8.
- 4 slices ciabatta or Italian-style bread (preferably day old)
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 yellow capsicum
- 2 red capsicum
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat a barbecue or char-grill over medium heat. Cook capsicum, turning, for 10-15 minutes or until skins blacken and blister. Set aside to cool.
- Brush bread with 1 tbs oil, then cook for 30 seconds each side or until lightly charred. Rub bread all over with peeled garlic clove. Tear into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Peel capsicum over a bowl to save juice. Discard skins, cut capsicum in half and discard seeds. Cut capsicum into 3cm pieces and add to bread pieces together with tomatoes, red onion and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- Whisk remaining oil, vinegar and capsicum juice together in a small bowl. Season to taste, then pour dressing over salad. Toss gently to combine. Serve.