Filling and Delicious
This traditional Italian recipe carries the flavour of Italy from the old country to your kitchen and table at home. Wholesome and nutritious, yet with a depth of flavour that is at once satisfying and comforting.
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped plus 1 extra clove, halved, for rubbing
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes, or to taste
- 1.2 kg canned white beans, drained and rinsed (or dried white beans soaked overnight)
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- Flat leaved parsley and oregano, coarsely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes), add chilli, and stir to combine.
- Add beans, stock and bay leaves, simmer for 15 minutes (longer if you are using soaked, dried beans), then pulse with a hand-held blender until partially pureed. Add vinegar, season to taste and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Drizzle both sides of bread slices with a little olive oil, season to taste and char-grill, turning once, until toasted (1-2 minutes each side). Rub crostini with remaining garlic.
- Place one slice of crostini in each serving bowl. Ladle over hot soup, scatter with herbs and serve with remaining crostini. Serves 4.